Monday 9 April 2012

How I created my Summary of Learning



Below you will find the step by step process I used to create my Summary of Learning Mario Video:

Initially it was a bit of an uphill battle to achieve my goal of inserting myself into a video game, but I'm quite happy with the end product! I began the process by finding an existing video on Youtube of someone playing a level on Super Mario.  I then copied the URL and pasted it in KeepVid so I could download a copy of the video. Once I had the video, I imported it into iMovie 11 and created a new project.  In order to break the video down into thousands of images I then shared the project with Quicktime and changed the Export Setting to "Movie to Image Sequence" which then converted the entire video into thousands of images.
Once I had all the individual frames from the video, I began opening them up one by one in Adobe Photoshop CS5 and inserted myself and other images into them.  Once I finished each image I re-saved it as a Jpeg and placed them in a new folder. (In total I Photoshopped 1395 images)

After I completed Photoshopping all the images, I then created a New Project in iMovie and imported all the images into the project and changed the length of each image to .1s.  Then I exported this as a regular Quicktime movie. However, the frames still weren't progressing fast enough so I imported the finished movie back into iMovie and sped it up 400% to get the appropriate transition for each frame.  As for the real life portion at the beginning of the video, I used the Camera from my iPhone to film and iMovie 11 to edit the video.  I also used the audio from the original video that I downloaded from KeepVid by detaching the audio in iMovie.  The final step was adjusting the audio clip so it would gel with my end product.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! How long did this take you in total?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, may I have permission to showcase your video in a presentation on digital storytelling? Thanks! Kathy Schrock (kathy@kathyschrock.net) great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I appreciate the comment! You can definitely use it in your presentation!

      Delete
  3. Your video is awesome, thanks so much for sharing it on YouTube. I attended the Teaching Professors Technology Conference this month and your professor, Alec Couros, shared part of your video in his plenary presentation. People loved it, it was tweeted and retweeted. Also, writing a blog post with your steps and links is double awesome! Thank you, Matt!

    ReplyDelete